News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Losing google chat? How do we use OBI with Hangouts?

Started by mralaska, May 27, 2015, 08:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mralaska

I feel like I missed something because I see no new complaints and every time I search the forum I just find the old related stuff.

Outgoing calls: The google chat/gmail address has recently disappeared as an option when I use Google Voice "Call" button to place a call and has been replaced with Hangouts which does not ring my OBI phone. I can still call out using my OBI phone directly but I kind of depend on the Google Voice "Call" feature.

Incoming calls: Google Chat still shows on my main display as an incoming option but I fear that might disappear soon as well? When I searched google forums I found a google tech explain that chat is old technology that they no longer wish to support and will be totally phased out as they merge everything into Hangouts.

Thanks for any help! I really do not understand how any of this works, I am just glad it does (or did anyway). When I got my OBI it worked perfect right out of the gate and I never had to think of it again until now.

EDIT: Yikes. I thought I was posting into the Regional forum. Moderators: please move this topic if it does not belong in this area. Sorry!

SteveInWA

Hunh?

Have you not read anything here on the forum before posting?  Only old stuff?  There are thousands of new posts.

Chat was removed as a "call with" option from the Google Voice web page.  This has no impact on using OBi devices.  Just punch in the number on your phone.

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/NrdW6JS1I_o/discussion

Hangouts works independently of Chat.  Google is keeping the Chat (XMPP) protocol in place to support OBi devices.

mralaska

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 27, 2015, 01:49:03 PM
Hunh?

Have you not read anything here on the forum before posting?  Only old stuff?  There are thousands of new posts.

Chat was removed as a "call with" option from the Google Voice web page.  This has no impact on using OBi devices.  Just punch in the number on your phone.

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/NrdW6JS1I_o/discussion

Hangouts works independently of Chat.  Google is keeping the Chat (XMPP) protocol in place to support OBi devices.

Apparently I have put you into a state of feigned shock. Regardless of how much you turn my statements into questions the facts remain. I lost full functionality and came here seeking solutions of which I could only find old threads discussing the last round of confusion. Out of these "thousands" of new posts it might have been helpful to direct me to JUST ONE in which people discuss possible solutions or work-a-rounds. What sense does it make sending me back to Google where I had already stated I found them pulling back support? If there are "thousands" of new posts why not direct me to some of them??

As you admit Google has removed an integral piece of the OBi functionality. Stating it has no impact is just plain ridiculous. If it has no impact for anyone, why would there be "thousands" of new posts about it? Since it obviously does not affect you, then feel free to go play somewhere else. It does affect me and I am here seeking solutions. Is there anyone here that can offer anything of value to this question?

Taoman

Quote from: mralaska on May 28, 2015, 09:56:37 PM
Apparently I have put you into a state of feigned shock.
Brilliant comeback.

Quote from: mralaska
Is there anyone here that can offer anything of value to this question?

You may find this thread of interest where the same topic is covered with a workaround solution.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9831.msg65148#msg65148

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on May 28, 2015, 11:28:20 PM
Brilliant comeback.
Don't be an asshole.

In fact:  you said: 

I feel like I missed something because I see no new complaints and every time I search the forum I just find the old related stuff.

Outgoing calls: The google chat/gmail address has recently disappeared as an option when I use Google Voice "Call" button to place a call and has been replaced with Hangouts which does not ring my OBI phone. I can still call out using my OBI phone directly but I kind of depend on the Google Voice "Call" feature.

Yes, searching this forum isn't easy, but this has been discussed previously on this forum, but more significantly, it's been discussed repeatedly on the Google Voice help forum.  I gave you the link to the official announcement from Google that the feature was removed.  You can go read more about it on the Google Voice and Hangouts forums, or you can use another method to place calls, including adding a real forwarding telephone number to Google Voice and on your OBi, and use that as your "call-with" target.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 29, 2015, 12:05:03 PM
Brilliant comeback.
Don't be an asshole.

That's rich. I'll let the readers of this forum decide who the "asshole" really is.

mralaska

You may find this thread of interest where the same topic is covered with a workaround solution.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9831.msg65148#msg65148
Thanks, and thanks again!

The part of me who has forgotten how broke I am is wishing I had picked up a 200 or 202 to have more options available but such is the price of frugality at times. It is not quite as convenient on the OBi100 but I will get one of those options working so I can stay on track.

Cheers,
Paul

azrobert

Quote from: mralaska on May 31, 2015, 08:49:34 AM
The part of me who has forgotten how broke I am is wishing I had picked up a 200 or 202 to have more options available but such is the price of frugality at times. It is not quite as convenient on the OBi100 but I will get one of those options working so I can stay on track.

You don't need to define Callcentric on your OBi100 to receive inbound calls from them. You will need one trunk defined as SIP and then route the call from Callcentric using a SIP URI. If you have both trunks defined as GV, you can convert one to SIP using GVsip or Bill Simon's GV Gateway. You can do the same with IPcomms free DID, but I have not tested it. Sometimes you have audio problems routing a call using a SIP URI. Let me know if you want to try one of these and I'll give you more details.

Callcentic's free DID will cost $1.50/mo for E911 unless you lie about using it only for international.
IPcomms DID is free.
GVsip is free for low usage.
Simon's GV gateway has a one time fee.

Taoman

Quote from: mralaska on May 31, 2015, 08:49:34 AM
It is not quite as convenient on the OBi100 but I will get one of those options working so I can stay on track.

Yeah, wasn't sure if you had an open SP slot or not. In addition to the options that azrobert listed above, if by chance your second SP slot is for E911 using Anveo you could also forward a free DID from IPComms or IPKall to your Anveo account via SIP URI and those calls would be free. You could then add that number to Google Voice and use that as your "phone to call with."

mralaska

SWEEET! Thank you both so very much!!!! I cannot pretend to understand how all this stuff works together but a glimmer of light is emerging just a little.

I did indeed have my second slot filled with Anveo E911 and I hated to have removed it when i was dinking around trying to get other options to work, but after reading the last two posts I was able to restore it successfully. I could not bring myself to sign up for Callcentric and pay for a duplicate Anveo service so I ordered an IPKall number. It did not work first try but a Google search claimed that I need to add 1555 in front of Anveo's SIP URI. I have no idea why but after I updated IPKall with the modified SIP URI it worked like a charm after that and I was able to verify the number.

This rocks! I was able to get up and running without spending any more money and I did not have to forfeit any service. Thanks again!!!