News:

The OBiTALK service has reached it's End of Life period and will be decommissioned as of October 31st, 2024. More information can be found at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16

Main Menu

Simple question on end of ObiTalk

Started by mo832, September 24, 2024, 08:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

When ObiTalk is shut down, does that mean obi to obi dialing using the 9 digit Obi number will no longer work?

Does it mean special numbers like 222 222 222 to test your device, audio and connection will no longer work?

What else will be removed in terms of features and functions of using the device itself with ObiTalk gone?

drgeoff

Yes calling 9 digit OBi numbers will cease to work.

There isn't much else, if anything, still working now that wil stop when the portal and Obitalk are gone.  Biggest loss will be the forum.

Soulcommander

Hello, I have been using the device for a long time and are still confused.  So we will no longer be able to configure our devices if we need to?  We will still be able to make and receive calls?
Do we need to find a new service for our devices to continue to work and if so where are people going?

Thanks in advance for a confused owner...I just want to be prepared as so many people have our number that is very old since 1980!

Orple

Quote from: Soulcommander on September 26, 2024, 03:59:46 AMHello, I have been using the device for a long time and are still confused.  So we will no longer be able to configure our devices if we need to?  We will still be able to make and receive calls?
Do we need to find a new service for our devices to continue to work and if so where are people going?

Thanks in advance for a confused owner...I just want to be prepared as so many people have our number that is very old since 1980!

Hi there. I am far from expert but you can configure from your browser when obitalk is no longer there. Download this and go to page 41. Ignore anything about firmware because what you have is what you get, no updates. As long as your obi is working you can continue to use it. When it dies of old age or otherwise, you can still use your google voice number to make and receive calls from your computer or using the voice mobile app on your phone. I read about a couple of substitutes for the Obi adapter here but it sounds like you'd need a helper like Callcentric. Hopefully if I gave any misinformation here, someone will quickly come along and correct me. This forum will be gone before long.

std17

I'm also confused. I just want to make sure my VOIP Landline Phone using Google Voice will still work?

I have the OBI202 connected to a Google Voice Phone number and that's connected to a Wifi Phone at Home. I haven't logged in and connected to the OBI website / dashboard in years (except for now so I can read the forum and other things) Thanks in advance!

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on September 26, 2024, 03:59:46 AMHello, I have been using the device for a long time and are still confused.  So we will no longer be able to configure our devices if we need to?  We will still be able to make and receive calls?

Almost all configuration can be performed by logging in locally to the OBi device itself. The major exception is configuring for GV.

Calls to other OBis hitherto made by dialling **9 followed by a 9 digit OBi number will cease to connect.

Calls made and received via GV or other ITSPs wil continue to work until GV or the ITSP makes some change. In the unlikely event of the configuration for an ITSP (not GV) needing a change it is extremely likely that can be done locally as stated above.

wpsb

Is there any way to reconfigure an OBI device with GV after the portal closes? I'm asking because I have an Obi that I didn't use for a few months last year and when I started using it again, it needed to be reconfigured. Is there any way to do this if needed?

drgeoff

Quote from: wpsb on September 26, 2024, 12:23:35 PMIs there any way to reconfigure an OBI device with GV after the portal closes? I'm asking because I have an Obi that I didn't use for a few months last year and when I started using it again, it needed to be reconfigured. Is there any way to do this if needed?
There will be no way for an OBi running official firmware.  Reportedly there is unofficial firmware which can be locally configured for GV.

ThisIsIt

I see where this unofficial firmware is located for download but where are the detailed instructions on how you do the configuration of the many parameters.  Will the Obihai.sip.google.com go away also?

azrobert

WTF They're making me change my password with the shutdown around the corner because it doesn't meet the new PW policy.
Anyway,

Download Firmware and flash instructions:
https://www.obifirmware.com/#cta

Request configuration instructions from naf. You must register to DSLReports to receive instructions.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31792784-Obihai-OBi20x-30x-OBi1000-OBi50x-OBi2000-firmware-mods

jms515

Quote from: drgeoff on September 24, 2024, 10:17:30 AMYes calling 9 digit OBi numbers will cease to work.

There isn't much else, if anything, still working now that wil stop when the portal and Obitalk are gone.  Biggest loss will be the forum.

We have DSLReports....  I hate that red place so  wont go there

drgeoff

The loss of the obitalk forum is not just somewhere to discuss. A lot of useful info in thousands of past posts will vanish.

lwaltierre

We have this Obi202 since 2012 for our Google Voice into our home phone system. Now received ObiTalk expire service notification.

Is there any Obitalk device or any other device to replace our old Obi202?

Or, do we need to replace with another Google home phone service?

Thank you.

drgeoff

Quote from: lwaltierre on September 27, 2024, 01:42:09 PMWe have this Obi202 since 2012 for our Google Voice into our home phone system. Now received ObiTalk expire service notification.

Is there any Obitalk device or any other device to replace our old Obi202?

Or, do we need to replace with another Google home phone service?

Thank you.
Read my recent posts. https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=12070

BillDoe

Have to admit that many years ago I began using an OBI as a cheap alternative to a landline, but as of today, it's long since been disconnected since I only use my cell now and have for years. What's all the fuss about? Use your cell and forget having to waste tens of hours programming and messing with a janky old Chinese device thats EOL.

MSRobi

Quote from: BillDoe on September 28, 2024, 04:57:47 AMHave to admit that many years ago I began using an OBI as a cheap alternative to a landline, but as of today, it's long since been disconnected since I only use my cell now and have for years. What's all the fuss about? Use your cell and forget having to waste tens of hours programming and messing with a janky old Chinese device thats EOL.

You are assuming that how you use your phone(s) is the same way everyone else does.  That is a bad assumption.

ThisIsIt

I am surprised that nobody that I have read in the forum talks about Magic Jack at $50 per year. But if the thing stops working I will try voip.ms and see what my costs are over 2 months of use.  Also Magic Jack is not a device that has the features of an OBi202.  Really just makes calls, messages and forwards calls.  Real basic stuff.  Maybe by the time Nov 1 rolls around someone will see if they can monitize the effort to keep these Obi's working.  Someone already has the firmware done and a set of instructions.  I just do not understand the instructions.  Not a programmer. If someone details the instructions I would pay to keep my obi going with GV.  The million dollor question is how many Obi's are out there.  I bought mine 3 years ago but did they sell maybe 30K units per year? Just guessing.  People are still using and selling DECT analog phones and fax machines. see azroberts post for information.

azrobert

Quote from: ThisIsIt on September 28, 2024, 07:28:18 PMI just do not understand the instructions.

What don't you understand? Is it how to do the wget?

AClaborn

Quote from: azrobert on September 26, 2024, 10:02:11 PMWTF They're making me change my password with the shutdown around the corner because it doesn't meet the new PW policy.

Same just happened to us.  Bizarre.  Just skipped it for now.