News:

The OBiTALK service has reached it's End of Life period and will be decommissioned as of October 31st, 2024. More information can be found at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16

Main Menu

Bad phone port?

Started by Oh-ObiBai, September 03, 2024, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh-ObiBai

After some major storms this weekend I found I had no dial tone. I use an OBI200 and thought it might be dead.
It boots up fine. I can login to it and it shows everything configured, even shows some incoming calls via Google Voice.

ObiTalk dashboard says the google voice connection has an error but that's probably due to their own issues.

I plugged a cheap vtech phone directly into the OBI200 and get nothing, no dial tone. Phone Port status on the devices admin page says just lists blanks for all the values.

So, dead port? I know the service dies in a few months, but if I can just reset it I'd like to.

drgeoff

It is dead. Phone port fried. Those blanks confirm it.

Probably the most common cause is conecting phone(s) to OBi via existing extension wiring which has not been properly disconnected from an external telco line. Lightning strike somewhere induces large voltage on the line which reaches the OBi's phone port. Poof!

That you mention trying a phone plugged directly into the OBi hints that the above scenario applied to you.

azrobert

You can use a softphone to make and receive calls on your OBi200. I'm using Sipnetic on an Android.

You have to define a dummy trunk with no registration on your OBi200 then point your softphone to the IP address of the OBi200.

GV doesn't require OBiTalk and "should" continue to work after the shutdown. 

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on September 04, 2024, 10:37:43 AMYou can use a softphone to make and receive calls on your OBi200. I'm using Sipnetic on an Android.

You have to define a dummy trunk with no registration on your OBi200 then point your softphone to the IP address of the OBi200.

GV doesn't require OBiTalk and "should" continue to work after the shutdown.
True but if an Android phone, just install the GV on it. No need for the OBi. I don't know and don't care about iPhones. Maybe GV app for them?

Oh-ObiBai

Quote from: drgeoff on September 03, 2024, 03:15:58 PMIt is dead. Phone port fried. Those blanks confirm it.

*cues taps*

Thanks for confirming. It was indeed hooked-up to household phone wiring, and likely there was a surge through it. Ah well... Guess it's Google Fiber Phone now.

Oh-ObiBai

Quote from: drgeoff on September 04, 2024, 02:50:26 PMTrue but if an Android phone, just install the GV on it. No need for the OBi. I don't know and don't care about iPhones. Maybe GV app for them?

Because I liked having cordless phones I could use without having to worry about fumbling with the crappy ergonomics of a smartphone. Plus an old-school answering machine that can't be snooped by big tech.

Mostly because I'm a nerd, though. :D

drgeoff

I do not have much experience with other brand ATAs but if you can find one that can call without SIP registration, it plus your existing phone(s) and answering machine can do what azrobert suggested.

azrobert

Quote from: Oh-ObiBai on September 04, 2024, 02:56:49 PMMostly because I'm a nerd, though. :D

There is another option. Purchase an OBi300 on Ebay, flash it with 3rd party modified firmware and configure it for GV. This firmware allows you to run GV on the OBi300. If you're interested, I'll give you the details.