News:

The OBiTALK service has reached it's End of Life period and will be decommissioned as of October 31st, 2024. More information can be found at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16

Main Menu

Reflashing a used OBI302 that i don't have the admin p/w for

Started by Robnelson2, May 30, 2024, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robnelson2

Hello,
i purchased a Polycom Obi302 box off of eBay.  i've reset it with the paperclip, but it still won't let me into the menus on the IVR.  i also can't get in with the admin user name and admin password through the web browser.  i don't know what the password is.  if i could get in, then i would update the firmware to the latest version and set it up.

is there another way to completely wipe it or force firmware into an OBI? 
like thru the USB port or anything?

otherwise, i will get in touch with seller and get a refund. 

drgeoff

Quote from: Robnelson2 on May 30, 2024, 03:12:47 PMHello,
i purchased a Polycom Obi302 box off of eBay.  i've reset it with the paperclip, but it still won't let me into the menus on the IVR.  i also can't get in with the admin user name and admin password through the web browser.  i don't know what the password is.  if i could get in, then i would update the firmware to the latest version and set it up.

is there another way to completely wipe it or force firmware into an OBI? 
like thru the USB port or anything?

otherwise, i will get in touch with seller and get a refund. 
By IVR do you mean dialling numbers starting with *** ?  Do you get any response to dialling ***8 which is an another method of resetting which does not use the reset button on the underside of the OBi?

Is your browser actually getting to the password request box or just getting a generic "no repsonse".  If the latter be aware that the Obi302 (and 202) have two ethernet jacks and by default there is no access to the onboard web server via the WAN one marked 'Internet'.  There are two ways of changing that:

1.  The Admin Guide https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf bottom of page 30 'Enable Web Management Access from
WAN port'.

2.  Accessing via the 302's other port labelled LAN.  This is a bit more involved.  Report back here for details if the first method does not work.

The OBi300 and 302 models were targeted mainly (but not exclusively) at Internet Telephony Service Providers who provided them to their customers.  In such uses they were typically 'locked' with very little if any configuration options available to the end user.  Maybe your 302 is one such.

Robnelson2

Hello drgeoff

yeah, I think its locked.  the *** 8 asks for "enter password followed by the pound key".

The WAN is locked, but i can connect via the LAN port and i do get the password box - I tried admin and admin but that didn't work.
I've setup about a dozen of these now and they work really well.  This is the first one I bought that I couldn't get into after resetting the bottom with a paperclip. 

Since there weren't any other suggestions to erase it, I contacted the eBay seller who gave me a refund and asked me not to return it. 

I bought 3 others off of a different eBay seller and they all were fine.  That same seller has more for sale, so I will just buy them from him going forward.  I'm buying them for $30 each, which is a 1/4 of the cost of new on Amazon - so well worth the 5 minutes spent wiping them, updating the firmware to the latest from polycom, and setting them up like new. 

The OBi302 device works well for connecting alarm panels and faxing using flowroute.com as the SIP provider. A lot of Phone companies have converted from POTS to VoIP at the Central Office and have broken previously working systems.  These are a great way of keeping legacy systems operating!