News:

The OBiTALK service has reached it's End of Life period and will be decommissioned as of October 31st, 2024. More information can be found at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16

Main Menu

Porting GV number out of Obi

Started by Mike90000, October 07, 2024, 01:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike90000

Has anyone done this successfully?

If so, what did you use for "the PIN you use to access your Google Voice voicemail"?  A big 'huh?'.  I've always just used the GV web interface for vmail, no pin required. The gaining SP usually wants your phone no and a numeric PIN.

Not sure why people want to stay with GV. The account page doesn't let you add a new device among other things. If my Obi ATA dies after 10/31, what do I do?

TIA, Mike

BTW I've been using voip.ms for 'years' with another phone/ATA and no issues or surprises.

drgeoff

Porting out of GV has nothing to do with your OBi device nor you OBi account.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667

AClaborn

Either follow the suggestion of drgeoff above, or...

Quote from: Mike90000 on October 07, 2024, 01:00:59 AMBTW I've been using voip.ms for 'years' with another phone/ATA and no issues or surprises.

Is your VoIP.ms account added to your Obi device?

If so, you do not need to port your number from Google Voice at all.

It might be easier for you to just add your VoIP.ms DID (Direct Inward Dial) phone number to your Google Voice account under the Google Voice "Linked Number" section and turn on Call Forwarding to that VoIP.ms phone number.

Calls to your Google Voice number will then simultaneously ring your Obi device with your GV account credentials AND ring your VoIP.ms number on the Obi.

Or in the Google Voice settings you could turn off the slider (don't delete the device) of your Obi device under the "My Devices" section.  That would mean Google Voice would no longer be used for your outgoing calls, though.

You could turn on spoofing of your outgoing VoIP.ms calls to show your Google Voice number instead if that's your preference.

Or many other combinations.  Google Voice isn't tied to just use with Obi.

Taoman

Quote from: AClaborn on October 07, 2024, 08:17:26 AMOr in the Google Voice settings you could turn off the slider (don't delete the device) of your Obi device under the "My Devices" section.  That would mean Google Voice would no longer be used for your outgoing calls, though.
I may be misunderstanding what you're saying but....

The only devices that have a "slider" are for incoming calls only. Disabling the slider for your OBi device would have no effect on outgoing calls.

I have 11 devices under My Devices and they are all disabled. Why? Because even though I have all devices disabled my OBi still rings for any of my Contacts. For those incoming calls that aren't in my Contacts they get routed to my Call Forwarding number (Callcentric) which is configured with an IVR which stops all robocallers. Again, even though I have all devices disabled it has no effect on outgoing calls.

Taoman

Quote from: Mike90000 on October 07, 2024, 01:00:59 AMIf so, what did you use for "the PIN you use to access your Google Voice voicemail"?  A big 'huh?'.  I've always just used the GV web interface for vmail, no pin required. The gaining SP usually wants your phone no and a numeric PIN.
GV settings-->Voicemail-->Reset PIN
You must also pay $3 to "unlock" your GV number

Quote from: Mike90000Not sure why people want to stay with GV. The account page doesn't let you add a new device among other things. If my Obi ATA dies after 10/31, what do I do?
Not sure why you'd want to port out your GV number. If your OBi device is currently configured and working with GV nothing will change after 10/31 other than the OBi portal will probably disappear. You can configure your OBi with any ITSP by accessing the OBi web UI using the OBi's local network IP address and configuring manually. Default Username/password is admin. You just can't configure a new Google Voice trunk.

GeeObi

Quote from: TaomanIf your OBi device is currently configured and working with GV nothing will change after 10/31 other than the OBi portal will probably disappear.
Unless that becomes big G's cue to shut down the Obihai server.

Taoman

Quote from: GeeObi on October 08, 2024, 12:34:06 AMUnless that becomes big G's cue to shut down the Obihai server.

While that is very true there is no indication, that I'm aware of, to think that is going to happen.