News:

The OBiTALK service has reached it's End of Life period and will be decommissioned as of October 31st, 2024. More information can be found at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16

Main Menu

The end

Started by drgeoff, August 23, 2024, 08:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das1996

Any efforts to backup or mirror the forum? Seems like there's decade+ of useful information on here, dial plan details, etc. Is this something archive.org would be a good medium for?

Logan

Quote from: drgeoff on August 23, 2024, 08:13:22 AMhttps://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16
It says Obi 2xx products, which makes me believe it's the OBi 200 or 202. Will the OBi2182 still work? Also, has anybody figured out a good alternative? This is truly a shame. I wished they'd just give us an option to pay for it instead of just taking it away.

EDIT: The below is my latest understanding of what will happen to already configured devices. Please note, I am not an expert. I read this information outside this forum and this was my understanding of it. I'm not posting the link here because I'm not sure if it violates the rules of this community to post the link. Please do your own due diligence and proceed with caution.

It looks like if you have your obi device already configured, then your access to the portal will end. If you don't need to change anything, your obi device should continue to function until GV disables your access. One thing I think you'll want to do is disable auto-provisioning: "you can use the device's local web server user interface (key in ***1 from the handset to obtain its IP address. The default user ID and password are "admin"), go to System Management-->Auto Provisioning-->Device Update, and change "OBiTalk Provisioning" to "Disabled" and tap "Submit". Do NOT delete the device from the OBiTALK portal, unless you do this first, or the portal will factory-reset your device upon removal."

Lavarock

I remember reading something about a deployment tool. IS there one for our Obi products and could this deployment tool be made available to us users as a way to save and update things like the Obo1xxx and Obi2xxx devices. That would helponce theonline web interface is disabled.

Yes, I realize we can access the devices locally in a browser but I assume the tool has save capability and the ability to have standard parameters.

I have installed about 10 or 12 different Obi accounts for people and manage them and the associated extension (probably totalling 120 or more). It is going to be very difficult for me to remotely manage 10 or 12 accounts from home. Some accounts are thousands of miles and multiple flights away. Too bad none of these people are technical at all.....

(To HP: Bill and Dave would be agahst at leaving users in a lurch. Note that my profile over to the left says I am HP Retired, so I do have some skin in the game).
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info. A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

drgeoff

Quote from: Logan on August 27, 2024, 10:22:43 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on August 23, 2024, 08:13:22 AMhttps://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16
It says Obi 2xx products, which makes me believe it's the OBi 200 or 202. Will the OBi2182 still work?
No, it says (my emphasis):

"This decision is pursuant to the end-of-life notice posted in December 2021 for the discontinuation of the OBi 2xx series device and applies across all devices connected to the OBiTALK service."

and

"On November 1st, 2024, your ability to sign into the OBiTALK portal, either through local accounts or through Sign in with Google, will no longer be possible. This will block the ability to access your cloud account for configuration of your existing devices as well as the ability to onboard additional devices."

I do not interpret those statements as applicable only to OBi2xx devices.

AClaborn

Quote from: das1996 on August 25, 2024, 01:21:08 AMAny efforts to backup or mirror the forum? Seems like there's decade+ of useful information on here, dial plan details, etc. Is this something archive.org would be a good medium for?

Don't think archive.org will work.  You can browse the major forums/sub-forums and see threads, but none of the posts seem to be archived there at all.

One could hope HP could provide someone a dump of this SMF db, but I doubt that will happen.

Also, is there a shortlist of other forums where many of the regulars who post here also frequent?  DSLReports? Reddit? Some other places?

Specifically users such as drgeoff, Taoman, and azrobert to name a few; but if you're a regular and I didn't mention your username feel free to mention other places you read/post.

If someone created a new forum specifically for OBi devices that would mimic this community, would you join and participate?

ftoast

AKAT

It says Obi 2xx products, which makes me believe it's the OBi 200 or 202. Will the OBi2182 still work? Also, has anybody figured out a good alternative? This is truly a shame. I wished they'd just give us an option to pay for it instead of just taking it away.

EDIT: The below is my latest understanding of what will happen to already configured devices. Please note, I am not an expert. I read this information outside this forum and this was my understanding of it. I'm not posting the link here because I'm not sure if it violates the rules of this community to post the link. Please do your own due diligence and proceed with caution.

It looks like if you have your obi device already configured, then your access to the portal will end. If you don't need to change anything, your obi device should continue to function until GV disables your access. One thing I think you'll want to do is disable auto-provisioning: "you can use the device's local web server user interface (key in ***1 from the handset to obtain its IP address. The default user ID and password are "admin"), go to System Management-->Auto Provisioning-->Device Update, and change "OBiTalk Provisioning" to "Disabled" and tap "Submit". Do NOT delete the device from the OBiTALK portal, unless you do this first, or the portal will factory-reset your device upon removal."

What is the benefit to disabling auto provisioning?  I'm planning to let my device keep going with Google Voice as long as it will work, then I'll switch to voip.

Logan

Quote from: AKAT on September 26, 2024, 08:13:22 AM

What is the benefit to disabling auto provisioning?  I'm planning to let my device keep going with Google Voice as long as it will work, then I'll switch to voip.
I don't fully know. I already disabled it and my phone still works with Google Voice. I've done power resets and everything. Again, I do not know, but this is what I THINK auto provisioning is: It's where the obi device syncs with the obi servers to confirm the device is fully up-to-date. I'm guessing if the obi servers drop, then the obi-device would continue on, but I don't know. Again, this is all my thought. Somebody on reddit suggested to disable auto-provisioning.

drgeoff

Obitalk Provisioning is the method by which the configuration parameters entered on the portal dashboard at obitalk.com get sent to the OBi device itself. The device is where they have effect.

Disabling Obitalk Provisioning minimises the very small possibility that in their death throes the servers somehow send spurious messages which corrupt your working OBi.