News:

The OBiTALK service has reached it's End of Life period and will be decommissioned as of October 31st, 2024. More information can be found at this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_10969583-11049883-16

Main Menu

GV voicemail access from SIP with spoofed CID

Started by cj4331, May 12, 2014, 09:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj4331

I'm using Vestalink since G-Chat is about gone.  Vestalink is set up to spoof my GV number for outbound calls.  I guess it should come as no shock that when I call my GV number to check messages from the Vestalink home phone I get a busy signal.  The setting for call waiting and the setting for the vestalink number in GV have no effect.  I think GV has no idea what to do when it sees a incoming call from the number being called.  Anyone else confirm this?

Shale

I wonder if you could work around this by blocking your caller ID when checking your voicemail. Just an idea.

cj4331

Is there a code I can punch into the keypad before the call like *67 then my number to call my number with caller id blocked?  If so I wonder if it would be possible to make a digit map to add it to the front of my phone number whenever I called it?

gderf

That's standard behavior for GV when you call your own GV number with CallerID set to the same number.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Shale

Quote from: cj4331 on May 12, 2014, 02:39:32 PM
Is there a code I can punch into the keypad before the call like *67 then my number to call my number with caller id blocked?  If so I wonder if it would be possible to make a digit map to add it to the front of my phone number whenever I called it?

Have you tried *67?

If that works for you, you could put that code with the number into a speed dial. That is easy, which is better than possible IMO.

Taoman

Quote from: Shale on May 12, 2014, 02:56:21 PM

Have you tried *69?

If that works for you, you could put that code with the number into a speed dial. That is easy, which is better than possible IMO.

Don't you mean *67?

Shale

Yes. Edited to correct. What would Freud say?

Taoman

mo832

An interesting question. I've seen several different types of behavior. Right now, I still have one SP on GV which I will not move until it formally ends, since the voice quality is excellent as I see it, and the convenience and reliability are not anything I have to think about.

So I just tried to dial my own GV number from the GV/Gtalk phone line, and my Google voice mail came on immediately. So it "knows" what phone you are calling from, and it sends you to your own voice mail.

I don't know how this works with other SIP lines, but when I had a land line, it worked the same way when calling the GV number from a land line listed as a forwarding number.

----

I do not currently have an outgoing provider on my SIP line, other than GV. So I just initiated a callback from my GV page of my SIP line to my own GV DID number (which is the only way I have right now to place an outgoing call from that line). My phone rang as normal and when I picked up, the same GV voice mail attendant came on "you have NO new messages. To place a call.... "

So my evidence suggests that it is SUPPOSED to work just like standard cell phone/phone co voice mail. You call your own number, and it kicks you into voice mail, just like an outside caller calling into a busy line. So I suspect your vestalink is not functioning right. Or at least not acting the way it is designed / intended to.

cj4331

I'll look into this more later.  I'm a bit P.O.ed at this whole process. Vestalink hijacked control from ObiTalk web site.  Then I notice if I don't subscribe today their promotional pricing might go up--what?  it just went up 3/31.  If it goes up again I might as well go with PhonePower which offer unlimited vs Vestalink's 2000 minutes a month.  I just signed up and 1 day of a free months trial is not enough time to decide.  So I put Phone Power on SP2 and I have some testing to do but I think I'll go with them.  As for VM most of the time I like to get it via computer anyway.